Monday 10 February 2014

Cocon-oaty slice

Children for tea after after-school activities?




Tight schedule which means you have to get back out of the house at 6.30?

Lots of stuff in the cupboards to eat up and a desire to make a 'pudding' that isn't just yoghurt?

That was me this evening. We have had a regular after school date on a Monday with another family for the last couple of years. Our children are the same age, and the girls have done choir after school, and the boys, football, then at 6.30 the boys went to Cubs. We have alternated each week having them after school, and then delivering the boys to Cubs, meaning that every fortnight, you get hordes for tea, but the other week, you get an extended day to 6.30...

The boys have moved up to Scouts recently, on a different night, but we've kept the Monday arrangement in place.

Today is the last time we'll do it. The last Monday of choir and football for my kids before we head west. And while there was no Cubs, the boys were off to get their 'silver' Chief Scout awards. I wanted to make something nicer than just fishfingers for all of them.

So we had toad in the hole, followed by Cocon-oaty Slice, a creation heavily based on a Good Food recipe I found, which I've never made before. I was sceptical, I have to say. No flour, no fat, just dessicated coconut, some extras and a couple of eggs. A real storecupboard standby.

Notwithstanding that I didn't have enough dessicated coconut, and reassured by the helpful reviews on the website, I had a go with what I had.

My harshest critics (the massed ranks of small people) pronounced it rather good. "1 million out of 10" - and that from one that is not my child.

Cocon-oaty Slice

100g dessicated coconut
30g flaked almonds, crushed up in your hands
70g porridge oats
100g sultanas
200g white chocolate chips
50g caster sugar
2 large eggs

Pre-heat the oven to 180C and line a tray bake tin (approximately 20 by 30 cm) with greaseproof paper.

Mix everything together really well and press into the lined tray.

Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or so, the cool in the tin and cut into bars.




5 comments:

  1. 1 million out of 10 !! ok - I think we have to try it :))
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  2. IT sounds yummy and lovely and easy too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks delicious! Just wanted to say good luck with the move - not the best kind of moving weather it's got to be said...but hope all goes well xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I like the sound of that... Will be book marking! Good luck with everything!!! :) xx

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments - please leave one. Unfortunately, I have been getting hideous amounts of SPAM so please can you do the word verification thingy?

UA-44695690-1