Thursday 23 May 2013

Rhubarb Amaretti Crunch

I may have mentioned before that a glut of rhubarb is never something I consider to be a problem.





I love the stuff and the kids do too.

I was in 'empty the fridge' mode this evening, and trying to cook a reasonably special tea for Blue who for once got me all to himself after school.

Half empty pots of soured cream and 0% fat Greek yoghurt, some amaretti biscuits, and rhubarb in the garden. Pudding!





This is barely a recipe, and while I was conscious that I was going to blog it, I didn't pay a huge amount of attention to the quantities I was using. But it doesn't matter, because this is absolutely the type of thing that you can muck about with. No amaretti biscuits - use ginger biscuits. I expect Hobnobs would be OK too, although either almonds or ginger do go particularly well with rhubarb, so bear that in mind when choosing your crunch element. As for the dairy product - you could use whipped double cream, natural yoghurt... You could even change the rhubarb for something entirely different. Although, then, it wouldn't be Rhubarb Amaretti Crunch...


Rhubarb Amaretti Crunch


Serves 2

170g rhubarb
1tbsp soft brown sugar
juice of half an orange
2 generous tbsp sour cream
2 generous tbsp 0% fat Greek yoghurt
amaretti biscuits

First, trim the rhubarb and slice into small pieces. Add to a pan with the sugar and orange juice and gently cook till soft, then set aside. 

Mix together the sour cream and the yoghurt.

Divide the cooked rhubarb between 2 glasses, and carefully spoon some of the cream/yoghurt mix on top. Crumble some amarettis on top then repeat till all is used up, or the glasses are full.

Serve, with extra amaretti biscuits if you have some.



7 comments:

  1. Aren't you clever!! this is absolutely brilliant - delicious and I wish I had a serving in front of me now :))
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary - it was lovely, if i do say so myself!

      Delete
  2. Rhubarb mountain here too and I made something similar using fromage blanc and the broken bits from the gingerbread men by son had made. Scrummmmyyyy!!
    This rhubarb cheesecake is very good too http://www.waitrose.com/content/waitrose/en/home/recipes/recipe_directory/s/seriously_fruity_rhubarb__orange_and_ginger_cheesecake.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooo yum yes that sounds great. The cheesecake looks good too - will have to try it.

      Delete
  3. I saw Rhubarb in the market yesterday and thought I must look up a new recipe to do something with it... Don't need to now! Thank you! This reminded me of a Danish desert called Koldskål, which is a kind of sweet buttermilk with crushed biscuits and fruit... Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) mmm that Danish dessert sounds lovely. And the cheesecake that Rosie has mentioned looks pretty good too.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a delicious and fruity crunch!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments - please leave one. Unfortunately, I have been getting hideous amounts of SPAM so please can you do the word verification thingy?

UA-44695690-1