Tuesday 29 January 2013

You shall have a fishy...Smoked Mackerel Salad with Yoghurt, Horseradish & Dill Dressing

I'm not a great charity shop shopper. I do go in and buy things - I've found our local Hospice shop to be a great source of hardly worn Boden clothes, for one thing, but I'm not one of those passionate thrift shoppers. The Husband loves nothing more than spending hours mooching round second hand shops and antique markets, but it's not my thing. 

However, recently, I have been pleased to discover a few lovely things for the kitchen (or rather, the table) in the same hospice shop I mentioned just before. Don't panic, this is not suddenly going to morph into a blog about 'old tat' shops, but isn't this serving plate lovely?




So far, I've used it for cheese and also for a cake (I mean once the cake was on the plate, you couldn't see the fish), but the other evening, I made a smoked mackerel salad and for once, I felt like not only was the food lovely, but I had absolutely the right thing to serve it on. 

Doesn't happen to me often.

This started off life as a Good Food lunchbox idea but as the Husband mused when he read the recipe after we'd eaten "You changed it?". But of course.



 
Smoked Mackerel Salad with yoghurt, horseradish & dill dressing

8 spears of long 'tender stem' brocoli
200g sugar snap peas (cringe, they had been imported from a long way) 
3/4 bag of watercress, rocket and spinach salad
2 smoked mackerel fillets, skinned

150ml low fat natural yoghurt
2 tsps horseradish sauce
juice of half a lemon
about a tablespoon of finely chopped dill

Quickly steam the brocoli and peas till they are cooked but still have bite. It really won't take long. Run them under the cold tap quickly to refresh.

Spread your salad leaves over a beautiful, thriftily sourced, serving dish (or on individual plates), then artfully arrange the cooked brocoli and peas around ad through the leaves, Flake over the smoked mackerel.

Make up the dressing by mixing together the yoghurt, horseradish and lemon juice, and stir through most of the dill. Drizzle this over your plateful of salad, and scatter the remaining dill over the top. 

   

The dill gave the dressing a lovely flavour so I am also entering this into Karen's lovely Herbs on Saturday challenge, hosted this month on Bangers & Mash

 

6 comments:

  1. Oh I love having just the right plate for the dish but I don't get out much RJ and when I do I'm to be found trawling old tat shops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just never seem to find the right thing - also years of trailing behind my skip diving mother has given me a complex about 'second hand' stuff which I am only now starting to address...

      Delete
  2. Such a beautiful plate and such a suitably beautiful salad to go on it! And a great entry for this month's Herbs on Saturday. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great twist using mackerel with this sauce!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mmm yes, I have been thinking about reducing the horseradish and using more delicate smoked trout too

      Delete
  4. HOW the blinking nora did I miss this!!! I love your plate R, not only is it a great thrifty find, it's got fish on it! FISH!! Glad to hear you're overcoming your secondhand phobia and giving in to a bit of old tat - I seem to be morphing into my skip-diving mother!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments - please leave one. Unfortunately, I have been getting hideous amounts of SPAM so please can you do the word verification thingy?

UA-44695690-1