Monday 3 December 2012

Forever Nigella - Cranberry & Orange Sauce

Allow me to be unfashionable and say that I love turkey. I love sprouts (as long as they are properly cooked). Stuffing, bread sauce, roast potatoes and parsnips. And gravy. I could bore you rigid with how much I adore gravy. Especially (controversial) cold, the day after. But I won't.

I'm happy to try different methods of cooking the various elements, and often I'll have to substitute something for something else depending on how organised my shopping has been. We did try goose once (it was fine), and when we've been to my brother in law's, we've had beef as the main event, but if I'm in charge, it will be turkey and all the trimmings gracing the Junkie table, thank you very much. 

Nigella does Christmas in a big way. I don't have her Christmas book, but Feast has a massive chapter devoted to all things Christmas related, and her recipes now form the core of my approach to my Christmas meal - although nothing, I repeat NOTHING is going to convince me that sweet potato and marshmallows is a good idea. Sorry, Nigella.

As part of my 'clear out the freezer to fill it again' campaign that I always end up undertaking in the run up to Christmas, I found a bag of cranberries left over from last year lurking at the bottom of the bottom drawer this morning. In a very quick turnaround, I have knocked up the cranberry sauce that will grace our table, based on the method in Feast. It's hardly challenging, and what I love about making the sundries like this is that you can make them to your taste. I think Nigella has a sweeter tooth than me, and I also often find shop bought sauces too sweet, so I have reduced the sugar and added the zest and some juice of an orange.


300g cranberries
zest of an orange
juice of half and orange
150g caster sugar
50ml water

Put everything in a pan. bring slowly to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar.





Bubble away for 10-15 minutes till you have cranberry sauce. Keep an eye on it, and splash in some more water if needed.


Simples.

It's basically cranberry jam, but rather than storing it as jam, I am putting it in the freezer.



As the Forever Nigella event this month is all things Christmas, I couldn't possibly let this pass without linking up. It's hosted by Laura on her blog lauralovescakes and I'm looking forward to seeing the other posts as they get linked up during the month.

16 comments:

  1. This looks so tasty, espeically with the orange in it! All this talk of turkey and cranberry sauce is making me hungry...and I must agree that I'm a big fan of gravy too! I might have to try making this sauce. Thanks for entering Forever Nigella :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love turkey too... so let's start a 'we love turkey' club... very pretty bowl of cranberry sauce too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds really good and straightforward - makes me wonder why I've never tried making it before. Very fond of gravy too - not sure about cold though! Haven't had it for ages, but used to be partial to a gravy chip :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm glad Forever Nigella's back. I seemed to have missed it for the past 2 months. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - I've been looking and looking for it...

      Delete
  5. I can't understand why anyone would want anything other than turkey and all the trimmings! :D We had goose once, and I was so disappointed! That looks delicious by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither! Goose was OK, but I wouldn't choose it again

      Delete
  6. I wouldn't think it would be so easy to make this but now you've inspired me! Nice to 'meet' you via Forever Nigella - it's fab meeting other bloggers and finding new inspiration xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just - honestly, this is so easy and good! Nice to 'meet' you too.

      Delete
  7. I love the cranberry orange combo!! Can't wait to try this out for Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely, isn't it! Thanks for commenting

      Delete
  8. I was thinking I should have souped up my cranberry sauce with another ingredient and this would have been ideal - you should try to get Nigella Christmas, it's great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. there is this great spell caster in the states i just met through a friends description, and he have just helped me to get back my husband who left me for 2 years, I am so glad that i met with this spell caster, he is just in the US to help people and i am among those he have helped and i am telling you to also go and get hold of your own solution as he shall soon be living the the States, he said he was in the STATES to help his client. So i met with him and told him about how my husband left me.
    I visited his email address, after a friend talked about how she got help from him. After contacting him, then I found out he is currently in the US.
    It is even because his spell is so strong that is why someone invited him over, And through this medium he has brought home my husband with this spell powers. I contacted him, not up to 2 days, he told me that after 24 hours my husband would return back to me, and that day I was at work when my husband (Collins Mark toddle) called and said he is in the house,and i was so surprise when i really saw him and he just ask me to forgive him so that was how Dr aluda helped me to get my husband back to me so his email address is aludaspelltemple@gmail.com or call and whatsapp him on +2348063930531 if you still want him to help you solve your problems for you
    I am Benson Toddle.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments - please leave one. Unfortunately, I have been getting hideous amounts of SPAM so please can you do the word verification thingy?

UA-44695690-1