Monday 10 December 2012

Coriander & Chilli eggs - for lunch or breakfast!

What a time to be thinking about entering a competition? It's madness here. However, seduced by the possibility of fame, fortune and trip to Australia, I thought "Why not?" and emailed off to enter the Gourmet Garden Blog Off/Cook Off competition.

Next thing I know, a lovely selection of their tubes of fresh herbs arrives in a cute little pouch. While you can't beat fresh herbs, there are loads of opportunities to use these beauties - in fact when they arrived, I'd run out of fresh garlic and chillies anyway, and as fresh coriander often spoils pretty quickly, I can definitely see the advantage of the tube when you need it for flavour rather than as a garnish in particular.

Now, because of one thing and another, I have decided to take the quick and easy approach to my entry (or entries - I have used the tubes quite a lot, but I need to carve out some time to blog them!), so here's the first:

Coriander and Chilli Eggs




Ingredients for 1 (easily doubled)

splash of olive oil
2 tomatoes, deseeded and roughly chopped
1/2 red pepper, deseeded and chopped to similar size
1 tsp Gourmet Garden Coriander
1/2 tsp Gourmet Garden Chilli (or to taste)
1 egg
2 spring onions, sliced
1 tortilla wrap

1 small frying pan
grill proof serving dish (optional if you can put the frying pan under the grill!)




Turn on your grill to medium - high. Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the tomatoes and red pepper, cook for a minute or so to start the juices running, then stir in the Coriander and Chilli.

Once the tomatoes and peppers are semi-cooked and the herbs are nicely incorporated, grind in some salt and pepper, stir again, then take off the heat. If you are using the grill proof serving dish, scrape the sauce into the dish, and quickly make a well in the centre of the sauce (or just make the well in the sauce in the frying pan) and crack the egg into it.

Pop the dish/frying pan under the grill, and cook for 8-10 mins until the egg is cooked. This will depend on how hot the frill is and how close your dish/pan is to the element - keep an eye on it!

If you have room under the grill, fold your tortilla in half and pop it under too for a couple of minutes to crisp up.

Serve the eggs with the tortilla and extra salt and pepper as desired.

I ate this for lunch, and it was very tasty. The chilli was sufficiently spicy and the coriander gave a great flavour to the sauce. If you were feeling brave and a little like a taste of Mexico, it would work well as a kind of huevos rancheros style breakfast.





9 comments:

  1. Ooh, yum, you've made Shakshouka, one of my favourite dishes. I made a chocolate version recently which added another layer of flavour that worked really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) normally I call it 'egg surprise'. Did you blog the chocolate version? I will check it out - sounds intriguing!

      Delete
  2. Niiice! My entry is chicken & veg coconut curry :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - yours looks good too - love curry

      Delete
  3. Oh RJ, you know how much I love a shakshouka.. Good luck with the competition, can we vote for you? I'd vote for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm I'm a little vague as to the judging process... I'm not sure there's a public vote, but I'll let you know!

      Delete
  4. Gourmet Garden coriander is my favourite non-fresh coriander. The dried stuff is terrible and a lot of the jar ones are very vinegary. I like the GG lemongrass too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite impressed I must say and you're right, the GG coriander is much better than dried. Everyt ime I've used it I've feared there would be a funny aftertaste but so far so good; The Thai Spices were very good, I thought.

      Delete

I LOVE comments - please leave one. Unfortunately, I have been getting hideous amounts of SPAM so please can you do the word verification thingy?

UA-44695690-1