Thursday 27 December 2012

Bubble & Squeak, Nigella style

Yes, yes, I know I implied that I wasn't going to post for the next few days, but I just can't stop myself. I hope you've all had a lovely time.

The brilliant thing about hosting Christmas Day is that I usually hang up my apron around 2 in the afternoon to rapturous applause (well, perhaps not quite, but some fairly gratifying noises of satisfaction as the table groans under the weight of all that has been laid upon it) and a glass of something, and then I don't have to do more than whip out leftovers in various guises (or soup from the freezer) for about 3 more days. 

This year has been no exception. We had a really great Christmas Day, nothing out of the ordinary food-wise (the usual turkey etc) but it was all utterly delicious, and although I say so myself, I probably managed to make the best gravy I have EVER made, borne out by the fact that there wasn't much left to have on Boxing Day with the Bubble & Squeak.

I'd opened Feast at the appropriate page just to remind myself generally how Nigella does B&S. My Father in Law saw it and remarked that he wouldn't have imagined that people would have a recipe for it, it was just a question of bunging all the left over veg in a frying pan... To an extent (although it pains me to admit it), he is right, but since reading how Nigella does it a few years ago, I have always taken this approach to B&S. It still doesn't fall into the category of 'cooking' in my book, although to be fair, it does involve slightly more than getting everything out of the fridge. But the oven was on anyway to warm up the mince pies, and this really does work better than just bunging it all into a frying pan.

So basically you take all your leftover cooked veg - yesterday there were about 12 chantenay carrots, a good couple of handfuls of sprouts, and about 4 baby leeks - all of which had been steamed, and then from the left over roasties, a good load of celeriac and parsnip and a few potatoes. I had to save some of the roast potatoes to be straight up fried in a pan.

Put all your veg in a food processor with an egg and whizz up to a chunky puree.




 Heat some oil in a large-ish frying pan that you can put in the oven and pre-heat the oven to about 180-200C. Make sure the oil has covered the base of the pan to prevent sticking, then scrape the veg puree in and spread it out. 




Fry for a few minutes, then bung it in the oven for about 20 mins till it has browned on the top.

Remove the pan from the oven (remember that the handle will probably be hot so you will need an oven glove. You don't need to ask why I'm reminding you of that) and invert over a plate so the cake hopefully comes out in a beautiful whole, ready to be sliced and served with the leftover gravy - which may or may not be warmed, according to taste!

 .


I am linking up to Maison Cupcake's Forever Nigella event, hosted this month by Laura on her blog lauralovescakes . Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. I still haven't done my Nigella post for the month. I'm hoping to squeeze it in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOO hope you get a moment - will look forward to seeing what you conjured up

      Delete
  2. Oh, looking good. We have a tradition of going to the in laws' on Boxing Day, she mixes the lot up with eggs into a frittata and it's one of my favourite meals. Mmmmmm. Glad you had a good Christmas RJ x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea...I've never made bubble and squeak before but I've seen that a few people have made it with their leftovers which I never would have thought off! It looks so tasty too...all fried and crispy! Thanks for entering this into Forever Nigella :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm this looks good - am realising now I did another Nigella recipe with my own left overs but forgot to photograph it - you MUST try the potato, parsnip and porcini gratin from Nigella Christmas if you haven't already. Apologies if you were the same person on Twitter I waxed lyrical about this dish the other day! Thanks for taking part in Forever Nigella x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great - I'd never have thought to use the food processor to make a bubble and squeak but it makes sense really I suppose. What a shame there wasn't gallons of leftover gravy - that's the trouble with gravy - the best ones are usually the ones where not much gets made in the first place!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments - please leave one. Unfortunately, I have been getting hideous amounts of SPAM so please can you do the word verification thingy?

UA-44695690-1