Tuesday 10 July 2012

Gooseberry and Orange Drizzle cake

Gooseberry and Orange Drizzle cake.

There is not much I can say about this cake. Delicious light orange flavoured sponge with hidden gooseberries, and a crunchy orange sugar topping. As long as you like gooseberries this is a total winner.

If I had had some available, I might have added some elderflower cordial somewhere into the mix – perhaps in the drizzle on the top, but I haven’t had time to make anything elderflower this year (much to my disappointment) and I didn’t have shop bought in, so I just stuck to the recipe, which had caught my eye in a Good Food mag (June 2012 if you’re interested) and I had mentally bookmarked for when the gooseberry bushes in the garden got their act together.

It's basically an orange sponge mix using 4 large eggs, and the zest of an orange, into which you fold your lovely gooseberries.


Once it's out of the oven, you drizzle over a mixture of the orange juice and granulated sugar


and serve - we had it with creme fraiche as a pudding on Sunday but it tastes great on its own just as cake.

The rest of it has been sliced up, individually wrapped and frozen for school lunches otherwise I think I would have eaten the lot, it was so delicious.

I’m thinking that if there are some blackcurrants around next weekend, I may revisit the recipe but as Blackcurrant and lemon drizzle. I think it would also be good with raspberries and lemon. What do you reckon?

1 comment:

  1. Raspberries and lemon will be lovely and blackcurrant and maybe vanilla, though lemon fab too. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments - please leave one. Unfortunately, I have been getting hideous amounts of SPAM so please can you do the word verification thingy?

UA-44695690-1