Monday 26 March 2012

Edited highlights of the trip to Venice - straight up

We got back at 2.00 a.m. this morning to be up again at 6.30 for the usual Monday morning madness and it’s now nearly 10.30 p.m. and I am about to crawl to my bed but I must just post some highlights of our FABULOUS weekend in Venice. I was trying to think of an ‘angle’ but the whole trip was so amazing that I thought I’d just go with it – rather than trying to turn it into something funny (although when I eventually write my novel, the incident in duty free with the non-tester pot of wildly expensive hand cream, the Husband and the over-made up shop assistant with unfeasibly long finger nails will be there).

So... lovely lunch on Friday (so what if it was Cafe Rouge at the airport – nothing like a large glass of white wine to get you in the mood) ... easy journey...gorgeous hotel & room in a peaceful Campo...bellini...comfortable bed, so quiet – and a full night’s sleep.

Waking up to glorious, glorious sunshine on Saturday morning ...cake for breakfast (oh yes! The Venetians have obviously been reading my blog)...wandering through the streets and over the canals of Venice, visiting the touristy places and getting lost in the not-at-all touristy places... al fresco frito misto fresh from the market and a glass (or 2) of prosecco ...ALL THAT ART... EVERYWHERE... delicious pizza...time to talk...more prosecco...another full night’s sleep...

Vaporetto over to San Giorgio de Maggiore to climb the bell tower there and take in the breathtaking views of the whole of Venice...everything looking like a Canaletto ... more sunshine... more ART...more talking...more pizza...new handbag...

Truly, we had the most fabulous time and I feel very spoilt. Magical times to store away and bring back out to sustain the soul when things are more testing.

Now, what are we going to eat for the rest of the week...

4 comments:

  1. Your thoughts on Venice have spilled out beautifully onto the page. We had a fabulous few days there a few years ago so I know how enchanting the place is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds glorious! So glad you had such a great time...and got a new handbag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love Venice - you've brought it all back to me!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've included this post in a travel round-up on BritMums website:

    http://www.britmumsblog.com/2012/04/britmums-travel-round-up-prosecco-in-venice-macarons-in-paris-and-ice-cream-in-newcastle/

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments - please leave one. Unfortunately, I have been getting hideous amounts of SPAM so please can you do the word verification thingy?

UA-44695690-1